Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Little Winter Perspective

It's still winter time in good ol'Montreal and guess what folks, that means snow. Imagine that? Snow, in winter, in Montreal. I know I am just as shocked and appualed as all of you are, I mean who would've thunk it. I mean living here for 29 years and every winter it is the same thing, cold weather and snow, but yet each and every winter there seems to be shock and awe that we are getting this type of weather. I have to ask, people what do you expect in winter, really? Sunshine and birds chirping? Perhaps a trip to the beach? If these are the winters that you expect, I have news for you, it is never gonna happen in good old Montreal Canada. Time to pack your bags and head off for a warmer climate.

Now I know to many of you this seems ideal, but personally I am happy to stay in my city and brave the few months of cold and snow and sleet and slush. Yes, I do love the summer, I in fact hate the cold, I am like a lizard, cold blooded and thrive off of heat and humidity, but I also enjoy the fact that our winter kills the things that could kill me, such as scorpions, poisionous snakes and spiders. I enjoy not having to worry about what may have crawled into my shoe that could bite me and cause me to have a seizure. I enjoy going outdoors for a BBQ and being able to walk through wooden areas without stomping my feet and screaming so that any snake that may be lurking, waiting to drive it's fangs into my exposed ankle, will hear me and slither away. I especially enjoy being able to leave my windows open at night without having to tear the sheets off my bed, checking for whatever insect may be in there, pregnant and hoping to lay eggs in my face.

And then of course there is the weather itself, but I will have to say that I would much rather deal with a snowstorm, than a hurricane, earthquake or tornado,anyday. I would much rather shovel out my car and walkway then have to dig through the remants of my house to look for my loved ones. Last time I checked there has been no evidence of a snowstorm coming and blowing your house away, three blocks down.

I think we should be thankful to live where we live, we have the experience of 4 seasons each year, we do not have insects that can kill us at their lesiure, we do not have storms that can destroy our lives, we have cold weather and snow 4-5 months out of the year... dear lord people put it into perspective, grab your snowpants and toboggan and enjoy the snow, because we all know that in only a few short months many of you will be complaining about the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment